Buying a share of an Equity Residences fund is an opportunity to make an investment in real estate, while also enjoying vacations at luxury destinations around the world. But just how much vacation value can you get for your investment?
In 2015, SherpaReport spoke to two attorneys, Trina and Philip, to learn more about why they decided to invest in Equity Residences. The couple first became aware of the funds when they were looking into renting a portfolio property. They quickly saw that buying into the fund would be a smarter move. Their key reasons for choosing Equity Residences included the return on investment, the lack of an annual operating fee for investors, and a dividend for those who may not have time to utilize the properties for vacation time. As it turned out, the latter needn’t have been a concern. Trina and Philip have certainly maximized their investment, both financially and in terms of enjoyment. In just 22 months, they have enjoyed 20 vacations worth an estimated $264,780.
Their incredible vacation schedule included:
- New Year 2015 at the Four Seasons Aviara in Carlsbad, California.
- March 2015. Skiing in Park City, Utah. Trina and Philip also sent a friend on a ski vacation in Park City in January the following year.
- June 2015 and April 2016. Two trips to the Palm Springs Villa, California.
- August 2015. A family vacation at Big Island Villa, Hawaii.
- September 2015. A getaway to Esperanza, Mexico.
- November 2015. A girly spa getaway to Tucker’s Point Golf Villa in Bermuda.
- January 2016. Golfing in Sonoma, California.
- February 2016. A trip for relatives in Longboat Key, Florida.
- March 2016. Spring-break skiing in Northstar, California.
- April 2016. A beach trip to Nuevo Vallarta, Mexico.
- May 2016. A Captiva Island, Florida, getaway for a relative.
- June 2016. Snorkeling in the US Virgin Islands.
- June 2016. Golfing in Mammoth Lakes, California.
- July 2016. Vacationing with friends in Anguilla.
- August 2016 and January 2017. Two family trips to Lake Tahoe.
- October 2016. A three-day retreat to the Calistoga Ranch in the Napa Valley.
- July 2016. The gift of a trip to Costa Rica for a friend.
- February 2016. A gift break to Mammoth Lakes for a client.
One of the many benefits reaped by Trina and Philip is the ease of sharing vacations with friends and family members. Staying together in a five or six bedroom luxury property gives the benefit of shared time and space without the awkwardness of hotel rooms. Trina says, “Prior to investing with Equity Residences, my brother and I would see one another only occasionally. Now we vacation together nearly every quarter.” For instance, they took one trip such trip to the Obsidian Residence Club in Mammoth Lakes. This property is available through Equity Residences’ partner Elite Alliance. The 5,000 square feet properties all have four or five bedrooms and easy access to an array of outdoor activities. Trina says: “Although Mammoth Lakes is best known as a ski destination, we stayed at this very stylish residence in summer. My brother and husband played golf, while the kids and I enjoyed easy hikes along the alpine lakes.”
Trina gifted another vacation to a nephew and his wife. The four bedroom, three bathroom property in Captiva Island, Florida has a private dock as well as paddle boards, kayaks, beach cruisers and anything else you might need for your luxury oceanfront getaway. Trina described the house as “a dramatic break from their small New York City apartment,” adding that his wife loved being able to prepare meals in the home’s gourmet kitchen.
Like many of the properties available through Equity Residences, Lake Tahoe’s Stellar Residence was so enjoyable that Trina and Philip visited it twice within a year: “Six adults and six kids stayed at this magnificent property during perfect weather. In the living room, a large folding-glass partition opens to a balcony and frames the gondola, which passes by just outside. We boated on Donner Lake, relaxed on Lake Tahoe’s King Beach, and let the kids enjoy the clubhouse’s basketball court and arcade games.“
Included among the luxury features at this Tahoe property: an outdoor hot tub and fire pit, radiant floor heating, a media room, gourmet kitchen, separate children’s play area, dual master bedrooms with en-suite baths, and a private club next door, complete with spa, fitness center, and more.
Trina and Philip were quick to explore the various destinations that were available both through the fund’s portfolio and through the company’s partnerships with Elite Alliance and THIRD HOME. In fact, they enjoyed their investment so much that they did not hesitate in buying into the second fund, the Equity Platinum Fund, when it became available in 2016. “Our Equity Residences vacations so enhanced our life that we invested in the Equity Platinum Fund as soon as it became available and immediately reserved the magnificent Stellar Residence at Northstar in Lake Tahoe,” Trina said. “The vacation benefits are the icing on the underlying real estate investment.”
The research that we’ve seen, shows that experiences are far more valuable than possessions when it comes to creating lasting happiness. Trina certainly knows that her investment in Equity Residences has already provided a lifetime of memories. And with more to come; she is already planning trips to Disney World, Greece, Iceland, and many other luxury destinations, all as a result of membership with Equity Residences.